Joan Small Poetry and Books


Charles John McMullen
Great Grandfather of Joan Small

Joan Small - Charles John McMullen Individual Report for Charles John McMULLEN

Name: Charles John McMULLEN Sex: M
Birth Date: 30 Oct 1844 Place: Possibly Ryecliffe, Coddington, Nottinghamshire, England

Chr. Date: Place:

Death Date: 22 Apr 1933 Place: Claremont/Nedlands, Western Australia

Burial Date: 24 Apr 1933 Place: Karrakatta, Western Australia, Australia


He worked as a Warder at Rottnest, starting in 1882.
(From "The Western Mail", Apr 14, 1899)
Previous to the departure of the steamer Wollowra, a large number of the residents of Fremantle assembled on board to bid good-bye to Mr. C. J. McMullen, an old resident of the port, who has secured three months' leave of absence.

Mr. McMullen has been engaged in the Government service since 1882, when he was warder at Rottnest, after which he was transferred to Perth. Subsequently he was appointed bailiff to the Fremantle Local Court, a position he still fills. While in the saloon Mr. J. W. Thompson presented Mr. McMullen with a purse of sovereigns on behalf of a large number of donors, who comprised all the members of the legal profession of the town, as well as many of the
trades-people. The health of Mr. McMullen was also honoured. He will spend the holiday in the Eastern colonies.

Anecdote: 1851.

As a child, Charles John McMullen possibly lived in St. Benets Place, 58 Gracechurch Street, London. (but not listed on 1851 London Census)

Anecdote: 1852. The Wreck Of The Eglinton

Governor Charles Fitzgerald, Lord High Panjandrum of the Swan River Colony, paused to appraise the dispatch he was preparing for the Colonial Office in London on the loss of the barque Eglinton.

His recommendations, he thought, were eminently fair: A reward of 200 pounds for the ticket-of-leave man Rodriguez, who "had behaved with much commendable daring and unusual disinterestedness (looking at his class)", a replacement horse for Lieutenant Ray, whose animal had died of exposure during the beach salvage operations, and a pat on the back for one of two prisoners and sailors who had behaved well under trying circumstances.

Then his irritation got the better of him. Taking up his quill pen again, he wrote:"With regard to the crew of the vessel, I regret being obliged to state that with the exception of the parties name above, I have every reason to believe they behaved very badly; two of them are now in custody for trial before the next Criminal Court for robbery at the wreck."

Fitzgerald added his signature, dried the despatch with sand, and the matter was officially closed. But his sand could not blot out the part comic, part tragic circumstances of one of the oldest wrecks ever to occur on the wreck-strewn coast of Western Australia.

The Quebec built Eglinton of 464 tons had sailed from Britain in April 1852 bound for Fremantle, the first town in the infant colony, founded only 23 years earlier.

The following is a list of those passengers who arrived in Western Australia:
In Cabins:
1. Mr. (William) Robert Fauntleroy (1799-1871), 'a man of considerable prospects', his wife Sarah, three sons, a daughter and their servant. In storage they were accompanied by 157 packages, '70 bars' and '2 bundles iron'.

2. Mr. John Henderson, brother of the Comptroller General, Sir Edmund Yeamans Walcott Henderson, with his

3. Mr. Thomas Courthope Gull (1832-1878).

4. Mr. Alfred Perkins Curtis (1830-1902).

5. Mr. William Bartram ( -1874) and his wife Susan (1805-1852).

6. Mr. and Mrs. John Scotthorn.

7. Mr. Lewis Duval (1834-1861).

8. Mrs. Louisa Glaskin (1821-1901) and her 5-year-old son, Frederic Litchfield Glaskin (1847-1920).

9. Mrs. Sarah Huxley, with a small boy (Charles McMullen)

10. Mr. Bryant

11. Mr. Jones

12. Mr. Benjamin Fretter, father of Mrs. Sarah Huxley.

In addition to a crew of 21 and 30 potential settlers, she carried the then immense sum of 15,000 pounds in bullion to bolster the flagging finances of the colony which had never prospered and was losing many disgruntled residents to Victorian gold rush.

The skipper, Captain Robert Bennett, was an autocrat of the old school. The first mate, George Carphin, had already been told when attempting to confer with him on nautical details of the voyage that the captain was paid to think, not the ship's officers.

Carphin kept his subsequent opinions to himself. This was an understandable but disastrous decision because Bennett was to prove that he was as incompetent as he was irascible.

The first hint of trouble came when the ship reached the lonely Atlantic island of Tristan da Cunha.

Bennet found his chronometer was not giving correct readings. He had asked the owners for a new one before the voyage but they, watching their shillings, had told him to keep on using his own.

An accurate chronometer was vital if the barque was to make a safe landing on the reef-bound West Australian coast. Yet, inexplicably, the captain did not bother to have it corrected at Cape Town before the Eglinton surged eastward through the Roaring Forties on the long last lap of her voyage.

On September 3, 1852, the ship was believed to be nearing her destination. Carphin dared to suggest to Bennett that land might be sighted that night, but the captain would have none of it.

The coast, he insisted, would not be reached before the following day - and, to celebrate their last night aboard and the birthday of a girl passenger, both passengers and crew embarked on a drinking party in the deckhouse.

Disaster struck at 9.45p.m. The ship, instead of heading for Fremantle, had passed 20 miles north of the port's offshore island of Rottnest, and the lookout, if any, had failed to spot the island lighthouse.

Bennett was in his bunk when the cry, "Breakers ahead" was raised. Roused by the third mate, John James, he raced on deck, but too late. Two minutes later, in heavy seas and a half-gale, the ship was driven on to a succession of offshore reefs and was in immediate danger of breaking up.

The crew, a passenger said later, was "running about in confusion, not knowing what to do".

A boat was lowered but was swept away in the huge breakers. A second boat was smashed on the jagged fangs of rock alongside the doomed ship.

The third boat succeeded in getting clear but the bosun, evidently intoxicated after breaking into the ship's liquor store, fell into the sea while attempting to board it and disappeared - with the erring chronometer.

A second death followed. The boat overturned in the heavy beach surf, killing an elderly passenger, Mrs Bartram.

The remaining passengers and crew huddled on the beach while a disaster party struggled 30 miles through the soft sand to Fremantle, where news of the wreck caused a sensation, particularly in view of the bullion aboard.

A detachment of the 99th Regiment left immediately to bring back the survivors.

Within three days the superintendent of water police, George Clifton, was on the scene with a ticket-of-leave man named Rodriguez, who was also a skilled diver entrusted with recovering the gold from the wreck.

But other people had the same idea. The bullion was worth 5,000 pounds in salvage money, the Fremantle boatmen were not prepared to sit back tamely and let officialdom move in.

While Clifton was aboard the wreck, they pointed out to the skipper of the small schooner which brought him that he stood to gain far more by co-operating with them. Agreeing, the skipper weighed anchor with the diving equipment still aboard, intending to leave Clifton stranded.

But the superintendent was made of sterner stuff. Commandeering another boat, he chased the "pirates" and fired two shots across their bows, forcing them to stop.

Rodriguez, who had resisted the blandishments of the boatmen to join them, then set about the task of salvage. It was a dangerous one. The water was alive with huge sharks, which had daunted other salvagers by snapping up foodstuffs from the wreck as soon as they were thrown overboard.

Rodriguez braved the predators, but found himself in even greater danger when the shifting cargo in the hold trapped him for an agonising 20 minutes underwater. Nevertheless he persevered until he had recovered every piece of bullion, together with cases of gunpowder and mail, which were sent under military escort to Fremantle.

Other salvage was auctioned in the port, but so little of value remained that a local newspaper described it as "a complete lottery".

Among the losers was a local worthy who bid high for a valuable looking packing case, only to find it contained nothing but cheap and very bedraggled women's hats.

Little remained but to reward the deserving and punish the guilty - and, as Governor Fitzgerald said, few people emerged with credit from a pretty deplorable affair.

He had two sailors gaoled for looting; he rapped the knuckles of the Fremantle police magistrate for the mysterious disappearance of many of the ship's papers; and he commissioned a court of enquiry to hear a charge of negligence against Captain Bennett.

The result was almost a foregone conclusion. The Eglinton's officers gave evidence of Bennett's failure to correct the chronometer, or even to prepare anchors when the ship was known to be approaching her destination.

Two independent expert witnesses, Captains Hay and Barker, criticised Bennett's seamanship.

Their opinion was summed up by Barker, who said: "Had there been any doubt on the subject of the chronometer, I should have given that doubt to the ship, and not have run on so dark a night by the chronometer I had."

Bennett was found guilty but, "In consideration of his misfortune", escaped with a fine of only 50 pounds and even this was paid by a collection among sympathetic colonists. Perhaps humbled by the experience, Bennett showed his appreciation a few weeks later by helping Fremantle harbour authorities save another vessel threatened with the same tragic fate as his own.

He also took a keen interest in the welfare or the ship's dog, one of the luckiest - or unluckiest - animals on record.

It had already survived one shipwreck, that of the troop-carrier Birkenhead, one of the worst disasters in British maritime history.

Washed off the Eglinton wreck by mountainous seas, the dog struggled ashore alone and, adopted by a Fremantle family, became something of a canine celebrity.

The final chapter was written in August 1971. Two young Perth spearfishermen spotted ballast-blocks and other wreckage on the seabed and reported them to the Western Australian Museum.

Museum skindivers investigated and were overjoyed to find not only that the long-lost Eglinton had been rediscovered, but that much of her cargo had been preserved in deep caverns in the reef. In fact, she was to yield more undamaged relics than any wreck yet found on the WA coast.

Those 700 relics are now in safe keeping at the Fremantle Maritime Museum. They include no fewer than 125 unbroken drinking glasses - a permanent of that ill-fated shipboard party which ended in disaster.

Inquirer (Perth, WA) Wednesday 6 October 1852

The cause of the shipwreck of the Eglinton, Captain Bennett, from London, was held on Monday last, at Fremantle. The following gentlemen were on the bench- Messrs T. Brown, R. Brown, Hon. J. S. Roe, Captain Scott, and Dr Shipton.

The complaint of Mr Mark Dyett, as agent for Lloyd's, was first read over to Captain Bennett, who was charged with a breach of the Mercantile Marine Act, 13th and 14th Vict. Chap. 77, clauses 77 and 107.

Mr Dyett, was sworn, and stated his complaint was correct, and that he had nothing else to add, but to call upon the captain to reply to the charge, and give an explanation of the cause. Mr Dyett was asked if he had any witnesses, when he stated he had suggested to Mr Brown, that it would be advisable to call the officer of the ship,
and one or two of the passengers, and they were now in attendance. He had brought the charge forward, not with the idea of making it a criminal matter against the captain, but that the circumstances of the loss of the Eglinton,should be properly investigated, he felt it to be his duty so to do; having said this much, he would leave the bench to deal with the matter as they thought proper.

Captain Bennett's answer to the charge was read, in which he said that he wished for an investigation into the cause of wreck, and also stated that he had acted as he best could under the circumstances, for landing the passengers.

Mr Robert Fontleroy, called and sworn -

I was a passenger out in the Eglinton, but not being a nautical man, he was unable to give the position in which the ship was. She struck about ten o'clock at night, on the 3rd September; it was a very wet and dark night, and blowing very fresh.

By the Court. - Did not go on deck after the vessel struck until the next morning; was there, however an hour previously.

By the Court-
The captain, I believe, was in bed when we struck.

By the Court-
The third mate was on the poop when I went up; he was in charge of the watch. I had no particular conversation with him, and saw no one with him.

By the Court-
Did not hear the captain himself, say that he expected to see land next day, but had heard that he had said so. The passengers were not gone to bed, but were singing in the cabin. There were festivities on board that day; it was a birthday of one of the young ladies. The sailors, I think, had too much grog given them; they were not drunk, but they were excited. Did not go on deck that night ; there was a great deal of confusion, but I had enough to do to attend to my wife and little boy.

I saw the passengers landed from the ship; an accident took place in the second boat, alongside the ship- the boat swain jumped over from the ship's side, to endeavour to save the chronometer, which was lost in throwing it from the ship to the boat; the sea was rough, and I do not think he was sober at the time; he was a good swimmer. A rope was flung to him, but it was of no use. He caught the chronometer, but it was not taken from him. They had as much to do as they could to take care of themselves in the boat. I think every effort was made to save him. The captain was about, but I consider the chief mate gavemost of the orders. I was in the third boat on landing. Mrs Bartram was in it; the surf upset the boat on the beach.

The third mate had charge of the boat. He was steering; there was a very heavy surf. It was Sunday morning; Mrs Bartram had been poorly all the way out. (she was a great deal agitated when she got into the boat). We all got from the vessel to the boat by means of the life buoy and rope. The captain took every means and did all he couldto save the passengers. I do not know whether Mrs Bartram was struck, but I believe there was a bruise on her temple ; it appeared a long time when we were in the surf, but I suppose it was not more than two or three minutes.

The captain came on shore in the last boat. There were no tents made with the sails of the ship.

By the captain-
Do not think that any of the sailors were unfit for duty, but excited.

In answer to the bench,witness said, the captain might have given the orders to the mate - he could not tell.

Mr Henderson, sworn -

I was passenger on board. I was in the captain's cabin just before she struck. The captain was in bed; had been in bed about ten minutes; he had said he should go to bed for an hour, as he should be up all night; he intended to bring her to. He always slept in the same way, with his drawers on. Just before leaving the cabin, the third mate stamped over the captain's head; he was asleep at the time, and I shook him, saying, "for God's sake get up, captain, there is something the matter." I thought there were breakers a-head. The captain was on deck before the vessel struck - she struck about half a minute after. She did not strike very hard at first. The captain's first words were, "hard-astarboard!" to the man at the wheel, then "back the fore yard."

I saw the breakers all round; the night was very dark, and it was blowing very fresh. The ship was under double reefed topsails, and the mainsail was stowed. The first sea that struck her, made the rudder useless, and she continued to strike, until she came hard and fast, with an awful crash. I consider we went over one reef, and struck upon the second. I hardly know whether the masts were cut away when she first struck but I believe so. The main and foremast were cut away by the captain's orders. I do not know the distance from the first to the second reef.

The men seemed running about, not knowing what to do. The captain endeavoured to keep order, as also the first and third mates. I saw no drunkenness, though there had been festivities during the day; the captain would not allow it after four o'clock. The men were all capable of doing duty at the time, and also after the wreck. The gig was cleared away, and the cutter I got in readiness, in case of the vessel going in pieces. The captain told me I might see the land on Saturday night or Monday morning. The crew were ordered to leave off enjoying themselves at four o'clock, in consequence of the vessel being near the land. The captain recommended every one to keep quiet during the night, and not attempt to land. There was a talk about anchoring, but no cables were up, nor were the anchors over the bows -it wasabandoned. I do not recollect any order being given to sound the pumps.

From the Cape, I worked the sight with the captain, sometimes I worked it independently of him, and pricked the ship's course on my chart. I think thelatitude at 12 o'clock that day, was 31° 40'. We had afternoon sights by chronometer; in the afternoon of the 3rd we worked independently of the festivities. I think I made the longitude, about 113 deg. 45 m. I think the captain made it about 10 miles less. I do not know if we worked from the same sights that day. I do not know if the captain pricked the course off on the chart, on the 3rd ; I believe we did not rate the chronometers at the Cape.

The chronometer belonged to the captain; there was no ship's chronometer. I am not aware of any attempt to rate the chronometer by lunar observation, nor that the chronometer was wrong; we made no land after the Cape; I heard the rating was correct when we made Madeira, Tristan d'Achuna, and the Cape. The captain and chief mate kepttheir reckoning to the Cape. The time was ta ken by the mate in the captain's cabin.

I did not see any insubordination after the vessel struck, except on the part of the boatswain, and he broke into the store room. I consider the captain when he came on deck, and she struck, was as self-possessed as any one could well be,under the circumstances. I consider everything was done for the safety of the passengers. I believe we were steering from 8 o'clock in the morning a E.S.E. course.

George Carphin, chief officer, sworn-

It was my watch below when the ship struck. I was in bed. I saw the captain on deck as soon as I could get out of my berth. I heard him say, "hard-a-starboard and back the yards." The wind was right aft; this was about 10 o'clock. Before the ship could answer her helm, she had struck.

When I left the deck, the order was given for the ship's course, E. and by S., and nothing inside of it. I gave this to the second mate; at noon that day we had been sailing E.NE. and afterwards E. by N. I should think the meaning of the term 'Nothing inside of it,' was nothing to the north ward. The captain and second mate took the sight at noon; I was not there all the time; I worked my own altitude; I entered in the log, the mean between the second mate's and my own. I worked the sight for the longitude; I occasionally took it by Mr Fontleroy's watch. The captain was considered to work the ship. The last longitude by chronometer entered in tog book, is August 10th.

The captain has never refused me the longitude by his chronometer. The captain and myself never compared the dead reckoning with that by chronometer, from the Cape. I think I remember saying to the captain that day, ' it it is clear, I think we may see land from the water that night.' He said I must be mistaken. I thought, and so did come of the passengers, that the water was a little discoloured. I have not been here before; I know two or three days before, that there was a light house at Rottnest. I believe the captain had it on his chart. There was always a good lookout kept. I do not recollect the distance I made the ship from land, at noon. My chart did not tell me of any soundings off this coast. We carried little sail that evening, the weather looked dirty. Before we made the Cape, I always worked the reckoning up to that time by chronometer, but seldom since.

We made no preparation for anchoring; we could have got up a cable and bent it on the anchors in about an hour; our pumps were in good order; we had four; observed no unfitness for duty amongst the men. B. Ellis, second mate, sworn- Had the watch from 6 to 8p.m.; did not know when she struck, being asleep. Had orders from the mate to steer E, by S. and nothing inside of it. Not dark when I came on deck; squally; no particular directions given to look out for land or a light.

Did not know there was a light on Rottnest; steered as I was ordered, until 8 o'clock, when relieved by third mate, and told him to steer the same course, and with reefedtopsails, fore sail, and topmast staysail. Kept no reckoning. No access to log; did not know what the reckoning was. Saw the water was discoloured; got an observation at noon. Latitude 31 deg. 45 m. Not a very good sight.
Heard nothing about the captain's intending to heave to, It would have taken three hours to bend the cables and get the anchors over the side. When I got on deck, the yards were being backed. 'I he first thing I heard was that the man was thrown from the helm, and the captain giving orders. Everything was done for the preservation of the passengers; was told to go forward and get the anchor ready, and the chief mate was going to get up the chain.

Saw the boat, with Mrs Bartram capsize, and picked up her body. When the boatswain was in the water everything was done to save him.

John James, third officer, sworn-

Had charge of the deck at the time; the weather was thick, and it was blowing very hard. The man on the look-out on the forecastle, came aft, and told me, that there were breakers a-head. I immediately stamped over the captain's head, to awaken him. He came up, and said, hard-a-starboard, and back the yards. The man was knocked away from the wheel, and then the chief mate came and laid hold of the wheel, and he was washed away.

After she got off the first reef, the boatswain sounded, and found it 9 fathoms. She was making water, but do not know what water was in her; tried to get her again before the wind; the vessel was under no command, and could not do it.

After finding much water was in the well, the captain ordered the anchors to be got ready; but this was abandoned. After drifting some time, the vessel struck where she now is: the main and foremast were cut away by the captain's orders. There was then no chance of saving the ship.

The boats were cleared away, but not launched till next day. The captain was on deck about 9 o'clock, and told me to be very careful to look out for fear of land. Had we been at sea, we should have carried more sail. Orders from the second mate at 6 o'clock to steer E.S.E., and the captain gave me the same orders. Antonio had the helm; consider him a good sailor. I do not know anything about the course of the ship in the day time. I never kept the reckoning.

Could get up to 20,000 fathoms of cable, and bend it on both anchors in one hour. The cables were not bent, and anchors over the bows. I never was here before; did not know there was any light on Rottnest. Had no orders given me to look out for a light; saw the chief mate's chart sometimes; did not observe the water discoloured; heard the captain say he thought to make the land about noon next day; the weather was cloudy, but clear enough to get an observation at noon; do not recollect the chronometer being taken on shore at the Cape; after the vessel struck, everything was done for the safety of the passengers; I was in the boat when it capsized and Mrs. Bartram drowned; there was a very heavy surf; I consider the boat was overloaded.

By the captain - Do you recollect I always cautioned you on approaching the land, and shortened in sail during the night. -


From the Court to the Captain.- Have you the official log.

No; it was lost.

William Thompson, Carpenter, sworn -

I was carpenter on board the "Eglinton," and had just turned in, I heard the man on the look-out say he thought he saw something, and I got out of bed at once; she grated before I got on deck. I think she must have struck heavily 6 or 7 times. The Capt. was given orders, he ordered me to sound the pumps about 5 minutes after striking on the first reef, there was then about 4½ feet of water in the hold. I did not know that the rudder was unshipped. If she had been anchored, I think she would have gone down ; tried to get her before the wind, but she was unmanageable and drifted; as far as I can guess, she was about 20 or 25 minutes before she struck on the second reef; the masts were cut away when she got on the second reef, by the Captain's orders.

The ship was much easier afterwards. I did not know if the sails were clewed up. I thought there was no chance of saving the ship. The quarter boat was lowered down, but broke away. There was no moon up before we struck. I know nothing about the landing the passengers, the Capt. and myself were the last to leave the ship. The boats were in good condition; we had 21 hands on board, officers and all.

Mr Brown then told the Captain that he had heard the evidence brought forward, and asked if he had any thing to reply. He stated that the accident happened in consequence of the chronometer being out of order. The charts are here, shewing the traffic of the vessel up to 65 deg. 8 m., the rest have not been found. The chronometer book is here also, shewing the working of the observations up to the time of the wreck.

The book and charts were here examined by the court ; after a good deal of discussion and questioning of the Capt., the bench finally decided, that the chronometer was a good deal out. The Capt. stated that the chronometer was his own, and that he had applied to the owner to furnish him with one, and that he declined -saying the Capt. had always found his own.

Mr Jatfray of Great St. Helens, is the owner. Messrs Campbell of Liverpool were the makers of the chronometer; it was rated for the voyage by the makers at Liverpool, mid by their agent in London. I worked with the above rate from the time of my leaving London until I was wrecked.

Capt. Bennet called upon Capt. Barker, who was sworn- Capt Bennet asked him if under the circumstances, 150 miles from land, he would have bent his cables. -

No, if I supposed myself 150 miles off land, and weather such as you appear to have had ; nor should I have had my anchors over the bows, if I had intended to heave-to. If I had intended to have made the land, I should have bent my cables before night. If I had been in a hurry I could have bent my cables in half an hour, supposing the anchors and cables were in the position Capt. Bennet describes.

By the Court-

Would you have run all the way from England without getting your chronometers rated, especially when you had an opportunity of doing so at the Cape?

I should not.

Would you have run (supposing your chronometer was in error as Capt. Bennet had reason to suppose his was) even if your position appeared to be 150 from land.-

No, I should not, supposing I had found my chronometer was wrong as Capt. Bennet found his off Tristran d' Achuua. Would you have sounded ? -

If I had thought my chronometer was out I should have sounded when I got 100 miles from the land, I should have gone by my own judgment, even if my officers had reported to me the water was discoloured.

Captain Hill of the 'Samuel' was called by the Court, and sworn.-

I command the barque 'Samuel ' I should have rated my chronometer myself if I had reason to suppose she was wrong, supposing I had gone into the Cape, but I should not have let her out of the ship; if I had any doubt about the position of the ship, I should have bent my cables. If my chronometer had once played me a trick I should not have placed confidence in it; had there been any doubt on the subject of the chronometer, I should have given that doubt to the ship, and not have run on so dark a night by the chronometer I had. I do not think I should have tried sounding, except I had been off the Lewin. It is not usual in small ships for the owners to furnish a chronometer, but I think they ought to do so. The chronometer I have is my own. I would bend my cable and have my anchor ready on board my own ship in less than an hour.

Captain May called by Capt. Bennet and sworn.-

If I had put into the Cape (or 24 or 25 days, and had reason to suppose my chronometer was out, I should have rated her. I consider a chronometer is liable to lose its rate by the jerking of the ship. I should not have run for the place if I had doubted my chronometer, if it had been a dark and wet night. If I had any doubt I would have given that doubt to the ship. I do not think I should have tried for soundings. If I was 150 miles off the land and trusted my chronometer, I should not have got my anchors ready; but if I had doubted my chronometer I should have had one anchor ready, even at 150miles distance, it would have taken me about three quarters of an hour to have bent one cable. I had a chart of the coast with Rottnest and the anchorage marked, upon it, when I left London.

The Bench reserved their decision till the following day (Tuesday), when Captain Bennett was bound over to appear at the Quarter Sessions.

Individual Report for Charles John McMULLEN
Events: Charles John McMULLEN

He worked as a Bailiff at the Roundhouse in Fremantle. in 1886.

The 'Daily News' of 1886 notes 'C.J. McMullen, having taken over the Rockingham mail, will run a conveyance, if inducement offers for passengers and parcels twice a week in addition to mail on Saturday. A trap will also ply for hire from Fremantle Railway Station.'

He had a residence in 1906 in 31 Princess Road, Claremont, Western Australia, Australia. Occupation Bailiff. He worked as a Bailiff Local Court in 1916.

He had a residence in 1916 in Princess Road, Claremont, Western Australia, Australia. Living with his wife Emma and grand-daughter Ena Maud.

He had a residence in 1925 in 19 Mary Street, Claremont, Western Australia, Australia. Occupation - Nil

Living with Ena Maud McMullen. Next door to Arthur Thomas, Eliza Annie and Frank James McMullen who were at number 17.

He resided at "Eglinton", Swanbourne, Western Australia, Australia on 6 Nov 1927.

Cause of Death: 22 Apr 1933, On road to Hospital after a traffic accident.

An Old Man Fatally Injured

Charles John McMullen (89) of 31 Princess-road. Claremont, was fatally Injured when knocked down by a car at the corner of Bay View-terrace and the Perth-Fremantle-road about 7 40 p.m yesterday. He was removed to the Lucknow Private Hospital suffering from a fractured skull, but he was dead on admission.

Father: John Charles McMULLEN (Bef 1810-Bef 1855)
Mother: Leonora TURRILL (1808-1843/1843)
Spouse: *Emma GAME (1847 - 7 Dec 1916)
Marr. Date: 10 Aug 1870 Place: Cathedral Church, Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Children: 1 Emily Jane McMULLEN (1871-1933)
2 Florence Mary McMULLEN (1873-1962)
3 Albert Charles McMULLEN (1874-1950)
4 Walter John McMULLEN (1877-1950)
5 * Arthur Thomas McMULLEN (1879-1933)

Birth Notes:

The relationship to John and Leonora McMullen is only a suggestion and not proven.

Record of his birth can not be found. This date was reported by his grandchild, Frank McMullen.

Mention of Ryecliffe as place of birth is from a Sunday Times newspaper report in 1927 of his life.

Death Notes:

Verdict of the Coroner's jury was 'Injuries sustained by being struck by a moving motor car'. (This was a taxi in Claremont)

(Cert Perth 615/1933) aged 88, when hit by a taxi late on a Saturday night, at the corner of Bay View Terrace and Stirling Highway (then Perth-Fremantle Road) in Claremont. The police reported that the taxi was moving slowly and Charles did not appear to see it. When it was near to him, he stepped suddenly in front of the taxi and was knocked down. A St John Ambulance took him to Lucknow Hospital where he died soon after being admitted.

Burial Notes:

Wesleyan Section BC 0294
A birth details has not been confirmed and there are no matching events in English records.

Relationship to John Charles & Leonora is only a suggested one and is only assumed as it fits in to that family's birth dates.

Frank McMullen says that he has heard the story that Charles' mother died and his father then met a French actress who did not want the children (He possibly married her), so Charles was sent to Australia.

1874 and 1876 Post Office Directories lists C.J. McMullen as living in Cantonement Street, Fremantle. At some time he lived on a vineyard near Belmont.

Charles and Emma McMullen lived in 38 Cantonment Street, Fremantle. For a time they both worked as warder and matron at the Round House (Fremantle Gaol) where he was also Bailiff. (1885-1886, 1888-1889 and probably other times also.) On his son, Arthur Thomas's marriage certificate on 25.9.1901 his occupation was listed as Bailiff. 1910 Post Office

Directory lists Chas McMullen, Bailiff, Henderson Street, Fremantle.

At the time of making his will on 24.9.1928, his address was 31 Princess Road, Claremont, Bailiff of the Local Court, Fremantle.

Charles John's will bequeaths all his estate to his daughter ENA MAUD McMULLEN of 31 Princess Road, Claremont, Spinster. She was actually Eliza Jane (Emily's) daughter. She lived with and looked after Charles John until his death.

Sunday Times (Perth, WA) Sunday 6 November 1927

Although born at Ryecliffe, England, Mr. Charles McMullen, of "Eglinton," Claremont, claims to be a Westralian, as he was barely eight when he landed on these shores. He was a passenger on the ill-fated "Eglinton" which was wrecked one stormy night in the vicinity, of Trigg"s Island, at the North Beach, upon what are known as Eglinton Rocks, particulars of the disaster being brought to Perth by aboriginals the following day. This was in the year 1852.

As a young man Mr. McMullen took up droving under the firm of G. Randell and son, and later joined the Government as mail contractor, and later still and till he retired was bailiff at the Local Court. The old gentleman was then eighty, and would not have given up his work only his sight was impaired by a cataract on the eye. Mrs. McMullen (who was Miss Emma Game) died in 1916, but two sons and two daughters (Mrs. F. Caesar and Miss Ena McMullen) are living. Mr. McMullen, despite his age, is in splendid health, and spends his time in the garden, doing all the spade work himself.

From The West Australian, Monday 10 April 1899

Yesterday morning, previous to the departure of the steamer Wollowra, a large number of the residents of Fremantle assembled on board to bid good-bye to Mr. C. J. McMullen, an old resident of the port, who has secured three months' leave of absence. Mr. McMullen has been engaged in the Government service since 1882,
when he was warder at Rottnest, after which he was transferred to Perth. Subsequently he was appointed bailiff to the Fremantle Local Court, a position he still fills.

While in the saloon Mr. J. W. Thompson presented Mr. McMullen with a purse of sovereigns on behalf of a large number of donors, who comprised all the members of the legal profession of the town, as well as many of the trades-people. The health of Mr. McMullen was also honoured. He will spend the holiday in the Eastern colonies.

From The West Australian, Saturday 6 February 1892

At the Fremantle Police Court, yesterday, before Mr. R. Fairbairn, R.M., and Captain Smith, J.P., two crosssummonses were heard the parties being C. J. McMullen, bailiff, and a neighbour, Mrs. Stephane. McMullen sued the latter for abusive language towards him, and the cross proceeding was for assault.

It appeared that a dispute had occurred owing to the alleged mis-delivery of a letter by plaintiff's son, who is employed as a letter carrier in the Fremantle Post-office. This dispnte led to Mrs. Stephane endeavouring to prevent the plaintiff from obtaining water from a well which she alleged was upon her property, and which McMullen contended was within his holding. During an altercation as to the right of either parties to have access to the well, Mrs. Stephane sat upon the corner of the well, and the alleged assault was that McMullen forcibly removed her from that position. The Bench regarded the matter as a neighbour's quarrel, and dismissed both cases, each party to pay their own costs.

Sunday Times (Perth, WA) Sunday 6 November 1927

Miss McMullen, of "Eglinton," Claremont, in the Presbyterian Hall, on Saturday, 29th ult., to celebrate her father's eighty-third birthday.

The hall was decorated with beautiful mauve and white watsonias and the supper tables were a mass of lovely flowers. The birthday cake was decorated with eighty-three candles, and the forty guests who sat down heaped congratulations on the hale and hearty old gentleman.

Miss McMullen received her guests in a smart blue georgette frock, and was assisted by her sister, Mrs. Fred Caesar, in a graceful gown of blue crepe de chine. Songs were rendered during the evening by Messrs. Clements, Rees and Drummond, Miss Muriel Bird gave recitations, while dancing was also indulged in by those present. A large gramophone from the family was presented to Mr. McMullen, the guests each presenting a record. Mr. J. Morrison proposed Mr. McMullen's health, and wished him many more happy years to come.

Sunday Times - 20 November 1932
MR. C. J. McMULLEN, of Claremont, who has just celebrated the 88th anniversary of his natal day. Mr. McMullen landed in Western Australia on September 17, 1852, In a romantic manner, being thrown up on the North Beach when the good ship Eglinton was wrecked. His parents were also survivors from the wreck, and in a bullock waggon they travelled to Perth. Mr. McMullen, who now resides with his daughter, Miss Ena McMullen, was for many years bailiff at the LocalCourt, Fremantle, from which position he resigned only eight years ago. This hale and hearty old gentleman is an ardent Freemason, a keen gardener, and a regular churchgoer.

Mirror (Perth, WA) Saturday 22 April 1933
Claremont Tragedy

Aged 88, Charles John McMullen was fatally injured when struck by a car in Claremont tonight.

McMullen, who resided at 39 Princess-road, Claremont, was knocked down by a taxi car at the intersection of Bay View Terrace and Perth Fremantle-road (the War Memorial corner), at 7.40 tonight. The St. John Ambulance was called to the scene and when they arrived the old man, obviously critically injured, was removed to a nearby chemist's shop. Here a doctor and the ambulance driver (R. Hanning) worked on him for over three-quarters of an hour, both men putting a fine battle in an endeavor to keep the last flicker of life in the dying man. In the hope that he might rally, he was removed in the ambulance to Lucknow Hospital, some little distance away, and here the fight was continued, but unfortunately in vain.

The old man died shortly after admission to hospital. The driver of the taxi concerned was John James Carberry.

Sunday Times (Perth, WA) Sunday 24 June 1934

The anniversary of the death by accident of the late Charles J. McMullen, long of Claremont and for a number of years a Rottnest official, recalls his singular manner of arrival in Western Australia many decades ago.

For some deep, mysterious reason, he was kidnapped as a mere infant from his legal guardian in England, the kidnappers being close relatives, who thought they had a moral right to the baby Mac, he then being brought away in a sailing ship of the period out to Australia.

Making for this then colony, Western Australia, the ship he was on made a mistake in reckoning, and instead of sighting the Rottnest lighthouse mistook a bushfire, away up beyond Yanchep, for the lights of Fremantle.

Before the heat haze could lift (it was the same sort of weather that wrecked the Orizaba long decades afterwards) she drifted and grounded on a reef a few miles from where the present Yanchep Beach is now, a popular fishing resort. In spite of it being fine and calm weather, there was a long oily swell, and the vessel was slowly urged by it on to a reef a few miles out from the coast. There she broke her back, but the crew and passengers were safely landed.

The Journey into civilisation was a long and tedious one, the country then being very sparsely inhabited, and several had to be left behind in the bush where now is North Wanneroo, in a camp, while the rest pushed on. Horses and vehicles were sent out to bring in the remainder, the whole business being accomplished by volunteers.

One of the party that went out, a mere boy at the time, was the late Abe Krakouer, the first Jewish child born in the country.

In the old home at Claremont Miss McMuIIen has some unique and interesting mementoes of her dad's early arrival in W.A., and also a lot of valuable souvenirs of his long and useful life.

Marriage Notes (Emma GAME)

Marriage registration number Pth 3135/70.


More Details of descendants of the Wreck of the Eglinton survivors

In Cabins:

Mr. (William) Robert Fauntleroy (1799-1871), 'Mr. John Henderson, brother of the Comptroller General, Sir Edmund Yeamans Walcott Henderson, with his servant.
Mr. Thomas Courthope Gull (1832-1878).
Mr. Alfred Perkins Curtis (1830-1902).

Mr. William Bartram ( -1874) and his wife Susan (1805-1852).|
Mr. and Mrs. John Scotthorn..
Mr. Lewis Duval (1834-1861).
Mrs. Louisa Glaskin (1821-1901) and her 5-year-old son, Frederic Litchfield Glaskin (1847-1920).
Mrs. Sarah Huxley, with a small boy (Charles McMullen)

Mr. Bryant
Mr. Jones
Mr. Benjamin Fretter, father of Mrs. Sarah Huxley.

The Anchor of 'The Eglinton' - Maritime Museum
Fremantle, WA

Helensvale Writers' Group
Helensvale Writers Group - Joan Small3rd Thursday each month
Helensvale Library - ground floor meeting room
11.30 am to 1.30 pm


Contact Joan:

Poetry in Paradise
Poetry Club
Poetry in Paradise - Joan Small
3rd Sunday
each month
Southport Library meeting room
1 pm to 3.30 pm